16 Oct Celebrities that You May Not Know Died of Alcoholism
A lot of people believe that they can handle their alcohol. They often say, “I am not an alcoholic because I’m having a few drinks. Here is a list of Hollywood Stars that many people believe died of alcoholism.
- Richard Burton – Nominated for 7 academy awards. He starred in movies such as: Cleopatra, Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf, Where Eagles Dare, the Robe and Becket. He died in 1994 of cirrhosis of the kidneys and liver. Many people that knew him said that he struggled from alcoholism.
- Mickey Mantle – The All Star player for the New York Yankees. He said publicly that alcohol hurt his career and his personal life as well. Close to his death, he required a liver transplant. He eventually died of cancer in 1995.
- Veronica Lake – She died in 1973. She was most known for her actress roles in movies such as Sullivan’s Travels, This Gun for Hire, I Married a Witch and The Blue Dahlia. Her cause of death was Acute Hepatitis. The actress also had her share of mental illness.
- Ryan Dunn – Died in 2011 in an automobile accident. His blood alcohol level was twice the legal limit. People that knew him knew about his struggles with addiction. He is best known for his role in the hit MTV series Jackass.
- Jack Kerouac – One of the best writers that ever lived. He died in 1969 from alcoholism. Some of his writings were about poverty, drugs and spirituality.
- Billie Holiday – Known for her beautiful singing voice of Jazz and Pop music. She was once charged with possessing drugs. When she got diagnosed with cirrhosis of the liver, she stopped drinking for a while and then started up again before she died. Some people say that she died from her alcoholism.
Alcoholism brings early deaths to the lives of millions of people around the world. Most people see alcoholism as the silent killer. You often don’t know the negative effects that alcohol has on your body until you get diagnosed with cirrhosis of the liver or some other alcohol related organ failure. Some people turn their life around with rehabilitation. It takes a lot of effort to check yourself into a drug and alcohol rehab.
People that get treated for alcoholism say that they often find new meanings for their life and actually avoid alcohol. Rehab is supposed to give you a new chance at life. Most people want to get sober once they find out that they have a problem with addiction.