15 Oct Learning How to Cook for Yourself While in Rehab
Many drug and alcohol treatment centers teach life skills such as: cooking, how to do laundry, job skills, education and much more. The purpose of a rehab is to teach you how to get your life back together again. The life skills that you learn are often necessary for you to function on a day to day basis.
Cooking is scary for thousands of people that go to rehab each year. A lot of people joke around and say that they cannot even boil an egg. Cooking may seem to be a headache for people. However, your treatment center should be able to give you some tips on what to cook fast. Here are a few books that I suggest to help you learn to cook for yourself:
- How to Cook Everything 2,000 Simple Recipes for Great Food by Mark Bittman
- How to Cook Everything The Basics: All You Need to Make Great Food – With 1,000 Photos by Mark Bittman
- How to Cook: An Easy Guide to Cooking Techniques by S.J. Sebellin Ross
- Teach Yourself to Cook From Scratch Without Recipe Books by Julie Bakewell
- How to Cook in 10 Easy Lessons: Learn How to Prepare Food and Cook Like a Pro by Wendy Sweetser
There are many different recipes that you can use to learn how to cook. Many people find that hands on training is best. This is why chefs at treatment centers are open to teaching you some skills that you can take home with you.
You may also find videos helpful as well. Here are a few cooking videos that you may find to be useful:
- How to Cook: Learn How to Cook the Easy Way! By TopAppz
- Pressure Cooker Recipes – A Healthy Way to Cook by BeckMicro
- Grill Recipes – Easy to Cook 100+ Recipes by Sathish BC
Ask questions to the chef that is training you how to cook in rehab. Let them know what your weaknesses are and what you would like to be able to do. If you plan on working full time once you leave treatment, you may find that quick meals are best for you. Get a few recipes that are easy to remember. Many chefs can teach you how to make a meal in under 15 minutes.
Some people learn to enjoy cooking so much that they go on to trade school to do cooking professionally. Professional cooks earn decent money in the world. Many restaurants are hiring people for cooking positions.
No matter where you decide to use your cooking techniques, it is important to stay strong and healthy. Eating out often does not give your body the nutrients that it needs on a daily basis. You most likely need to make your meals at home.